Each character has three/four facings (8 squares for M sized individuals):
- Front (where you threaten), 3 spaces along the front of your character
- Rear (where you are most vulnerable), 3 spaces along the rear of your character
- Flank 2 squares on either side (for right handed characters with a shield the left flank is their shield side)
- Attackers in an individual’s rear squares gain a +2 to attack rolls (Thieves gain +4), and no shield bonus is gained.
- Attackers in an individual’s flank squares gain a +1 to attack rolls, and non-shield flank side looses any shield bonus.